The following responsibilities govern the use of all Renfrew County District School Board (RCDSB) facilities. Failure to comply with these responsibilities will result in immediate permit cancellation at no cost or liability to the RCDSB.
The permit holder is responsible for the conduct and supervision of all persons admitted to school buildings and grounds, and will ensure that all regulations are strictly observed. See Equipment Use for equipment regulations all permit holders must agree to when renting RCDSB facilities.
Select a link below to learn more about the responsibilities of permit holders:
- The permit holder assumes full responsibility for the proper supervision and conduct of any activities and for any claims arising out of improper supervision or conduct of activities.
- All groups using school facilities must have adequate adult supervision, one of which is the person in charge named on the rental permit.
- The applicant(s) or person(s) in charge must be in attendance at the function, and must stay until the premises are vacated and whenever possible, notify the on-site RCDSB representative when leaving.
- Activities involving minors should be supervised by adults at a 1 adult to 20 minors ratio.
- Groups renting multiple facility spaces must have a supervisor in charge of each area.
- Supervisors must adhere to start/finish times indicated on the rental permit.
- Participants must not enter the school before the supervisor arrives. Supervisors must ensure that participants remain within the designated rental areas and associated corridors and washrooms.
- No person, in possession of, or under the influence of, intoxicating beverages, narcotics or hallucinatory drugs is permitted on school property.
Emergency, Safety and Security
- Permit holders must have an appropriate plan to deal with medical emergencies and medical conditions while on school property.
- If an accident or injury occurs during the rental period, the lead supervisor must report the incident immediately to the on-site RCDSB representative.
- User groups shall not hold the schools, the RCDSB, their staff or agents responsible for any instances of bodily injury, sickness, disease or death sustained by user group participants while on school premises.
- Permit holders are responsible for the enforcement of all fire safety regulations and ensuring that no obstructions are placed in corridors or in front of fire exists.
- Submission of a floor plan for fire safety compliance and approval may be required.
- During all non-school hours, rooms must be locked unless occupied. This includes closing and locking the windows.
- Rental groups are responsible for coordinating access of arrivals. Doors may not be propped open during the rental period.
- Valuable materials must be maintained in a secure fashion.
- Licensed security guards may be required for events of 200 or more participants.
- Where a permit holder has reasonable and probable grounds to believe a person is on the premises without permission or is conducting a prohibited activity on the premises and the offending person refuses to leave the premises as directed, the permit holder should immediately notify the RCDSB representative. If the RCDSB representative is not available, the permit holder should use due diligence to determine if they should contact the police directly.
Health and Safety
- Nuts, nut products, shellfish, fragrances, and latex may pose a significant health risk to students and community members. They are not permitted on most school properties.
- Animals, with the exception of service dogs, are not permitted on school property.
- If food is prepared, consumed or sold, the user group must obtain approval from the rental office, and comply with ministry health and fire safety regulations.
- The use, sale or supply of tobacco and alcohol is not permitted on school property.
- Fireworks, dry ice, fog/smoke machines and pyrotechnical devices are not permitted.
- Private parties, games of chance, lotteries or gambling, or activities involving the discharge of weapons, such as guns, bows, crossbows and knives, are not permitted on school property.
Cancellations and Refunds
The rental office reserves the right to cancel a permit if it is necessary to use the reserved accommodation for school use. Permit cancellations will be made only as a last resource. The group will be notified of the cancellation and offered an alternative date or location as compensation.
If no alternative date or location is agreeable, a credit will be issued which may be used against future rental charges. The RCDSB assumes no responsibility for any additional expenses, distress, disappointment, frustration and/or inconvenience as a result of such cancellation or alteration to a permit.
All use of schools, by outside groups, is cancelled when schools are closed due to inclement weather, or any other causes beyond control of the RCDSB. See the guidelines at Rent a Facility.
Rental charges are refunded if the rental office is notified at least three days before the event occurs. See Rental Fees for additional details.
Advertising by permit holders in or about school property is forbidden without written permission from the rental office.
Facilities may not be used for sleeping accommodation except in rare and unusual circumstances and contingent upon the necessary approvals. (i.e. superintendents of education and the chief fire official)