The Renfrew County District School Board (RCDSB) partners with the Ontario Ministry of Education and local educational organizations to offer alternative methods of earning high school and postsecondary credits called Dual Credits. Dual Credits provide students with opportunities to customize their high school experience and build on their strengths and interests.
All 70 school boards that have secondary schools and all Ontario colleges of applied arts and technology are involved in providing secondary school students with dual credit learning opportunities.
With Dual Credits, students can:
- Earn high school credits towards their Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) and postsecondary diploma, degree or apprenticeship certification while studying at a local college;
- Gain experience to successfully transition to college or an apprenticeship program; and
- Increase their awareness of college and apprenticeship pathways; and
- Develop greater insight into education and career planning decisions.
Students can earn up to four optional credits through college-delivered courses. There is no limit on the number or type of secondary credits they may earn through team-taught courses delivered jointly by college instructors and secondary school teachers.
The RCDSB or school Student Success team determines, on a case-by-case basis, which students are admitted to a Ministry-approved Dual Credit program. The primary focus is on:
- Students who have the potential to succeed, but are at risk of not graduating from high school;
- Students who left high school before graduating and are now returning to school;
- Students enrolled in approved Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) programs that include a college-delivered course; and
- Students in college-delivered Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Programs (OYAP) and Level 1 apprenticeship programs.
For more information on Dual Credit program s, students should contact their guidance counsellor.
Ontario Ministry of Education Dual Credits
Ontario Ministry of Education Dual Credit Fact Sheet (PDF, 159 kB)